[google7e77f4a13a7c5cc5.html]

Picture
Huge game changer folks in the Hamptons wildlife ecosystem. I spotted and photographed a very healthy adult coyote in a field very close to the Sagaponack / Wainscott border. I saw it running across the field and took a side road to get closer. My camera is always at the ready and this time was no

different. I lifted my camera to my eye as the coyote crossed the road I was on. I stopped, jumped out of the vehicle and began shooting high speed shots in low light conditions. I feared the worst when I was done but, turns out I got the goods. It was running away from me and I knew it was a coyote instantly by the face, tail, gait and the fact that it ignored me. I yelled out "Wylie" real loud and it stopped for a brief moment to turn and give me that beautiful confirming smile. Then off it went. You'll notice in the following shots, that either the coyote is eating very very well (due to its mid section size) or it's a she and you know what that means. Either way folks, it's no longer a rumor or a possibility. WE HAVE A COYOTE IN THE HAMPTONS AND YOU CAN BE CERTAIN THERE ARE MORE.

This changes the game in all varieties of pest control and nuisance wildlife control. Fortunately for those in the Hamptons, I have many many years experience trapping coyotes. I live trapped them on a ranch in Texas to save our goat and cattle herds. I've trapped and photographed them in Arizona, Idaho, Wyoming and Montana. Best of all I am fully prepared to live trap them right here. I'm presently the only Wildlife Removal & Rescue service with the knowledge and the traps to safely trap and relocate eastern coyotes in the Hamptons. Any questions  or concerns about coyotes, please call Hampton Wildlife Removal & Rescue at 631-377-6555.

I also took a few great shots of our proud Town Pond swan. Enjoy.

Comments

Emily Corwith
04/18/2014 9:59am

How do you think coyotes got here???

Mike Bottini
04/20/2014 12:22pm

Dell,
Nice photos. A coyote was photographed a few miles west of your location, near the Atlantic Golf Course, last summer. A local farmer got a few pics, and Josh Stiller from the NYSDEC got a few more with a remote camera setup in the same area.
We think they are crossing over from the Bronx where two biologists are studying them. They've proven to be very adaptable to all sorts of environments, including urban settings such as the Bronx and Chicago. In the Bronx, they can utilize small "green spaces" such as cemeteries and move around hunting strictly at night. Some of the Bronx coyotes regularly congregate at a small park at the base of the Whitestone Bridge. They are also in Pelham Bay Park...the likely jumping off point for juvenile otters dispersing to Long Island.

It's also possible that the Hamptons coyote, along with the Hamptons sole resident beaver (last seen 8/2012 and now presumed dead of old age), and the one river otter on the east end (whose territory includes Shelter Island and Southold), arrived by way of the Fishers Island - Plum Island archipelago. Coyotes, beaver and otter have made crossing from RI-CT to Fishers. There's some rough water between there and Orient, but depending on wind and tide it's not always the case.
I've long known the coyote would make it here, and I'm excited about the new addition to our fauna. We could use a big predator to help bring our ecosystem into better balance. In the case of Fishers Island, first to go were the feral cats, to the benefit of the island's ground nesting birds. There are still deer on the island, but nothing like out here. And no ticks noted after five days of bushwacking to map otter scent stations, including two days in August.

An
04/21/2014 8:33am

Mike - good insight. Let me ask a question. Why do you think Bobcats don't extend their range as easily as coyotes? Bobcats are more secretive - which would make me think they would have an "easier" time. For some reason - Bobcats don't seem to come down below the White Plains area in Westchester County. In the same way coyotes went to Fisher's Island from CT... and reached the urban setting of the Bronx (and by extension Queens and Long Island) through Westchester - why do Bobcats seem to stop?

Dell
04/27/2014 12:35pm

Awesome info. Mike. Thanks. And thanks for the hook up for the DEC report and WildDogs.

An
04/20/2014 6:05pm

why would they need to be trapped? they exist all over NY and rarely cause trouble. One was killed up in Rockland County last month - but that is a rarity. The last time before that was maybe 3 years ago in Westchester County. They even live in the Bronx and go basically unnoticed. They should help control rodents in the area - and maybe make the deer a little less bold.

Dell
04/27/2014 12:47pm

I don't think there is a danger to the coyote An. I would think the trapping issue would be to possible put a tracking device, which might offer great data...BUT, I don't think any of that is necessary either. I happen to be fortunate enough to own a wildlife removal and rescue business strictly so these animals are not harmed. Therefore, if I was hired to trap a coyote... I ABSOLUTELY WOULD... because that way I would know it will be relocated properly rather than getting shot by a land, farm or home owner.

joe
04/21/2014 9:24am

I am 99% sure I saw a coyote pup on Dune Rd. in Hampton Bays yesterday. We were driving along the section of dune between K Road and Ponquogue Bridge when I spotted what looked like a small dog/puppy. He quickly dodged into the brush as my car approached. I have seen foxes in this area before but this animal had longer legs, a skinny tail, and ears pointed straight up, rather than outwards. I know mangy foxes can look quite similar but this animal looked healthy from what I could see from 50 feet away.

Dell
04/27/2014 12:50pm

Hi Joe. Probably not a coyote, as their tails are very bushy and thick looking. Many animals shed their winter coats and can look deceiving at times. But you never know Joe. Keep your eyes open. Thanks

Ed
04/21/2014 8:52pm

I've seen many coyotes out West and upstate NY.
18 years ago, I was jogging in wooded area behind SCPD HQ in Yaphank adjacent to LIRR tracks at dawn. A coyote crossed my path

Mike M EH
04/22/2014 4:36pm

I live on Hook Pond near Main beach in East Hampton and there was a gigantic pile of scat on my front porch last weekend, that was basically 6 mice and some berries (its still winter, so I had the time to check it out). The scat looked like it came from a canine creature and I thought it was Fox scat, but it was a pretty sizable heap - so it is most likely Coyote scat, I'd think. Side-bar, there used to be a ton of deer in my yard facing the pond, but since january I've not seen one. Maybe the coyote is eating well!

Dell
04/27/2014 12:52pm

Hi Mike,
That pile was absolutely RACCOON!!! Their scat is like that of a small to medium dog and ALWAYS full of berries and seeds. They also use the shoreline as a super highway.

Priscilla
04/27/2014 7:06am

Why would you want to trap the coyote? Let it be. Let's try to preserve as much natural habitat for our wildlife here on the east end and let wildlife be wild. Stop overdevelopment!

Dell
04/27/2014 1:00pm

Priscilla, I wouldn't want to trap the coyote, BUT if I was hired to I would. That's my business. Besides a naturalist, wildlife photographer and strong advocate for ALL our furry friends.... I am also a Wildlife Rescue and Removal Tech. I save animals from bad people and bad places for a living. WE ALL know what the right thing to do is... but then there is the WHAT WILL BE. You will not stop the over development here in the Hamptons. SO me and people like myself are trying to help as many animals as we can for as long as we can. If I was hired to trap the coyote, I would be more than happy to. As I said above to An, that way I would know it would get relocated properly and not SHOT by someone less compassionate for the beautiful animal. Thanks Priscilla.

Your comment will be posted after it is approved.